Sunday, May 17, 2009

Separation or "Severation"


This is my first post. This is dedicated to women who are experiencing the ups and downs of separation and divorce particularly if abuse was a factor. Stay tuned for more posts, updates, books, etc. But until then, check this out:

Separation should be called "severation" because that's exactly how it feels. It is like having an unexpected surgery and being left to deal with the shock, afterpains, scars, and recovery, all on your own. Not only are you not physically with this person, but your very sense of self of survival is threatened. You begin to question everything. What went wrong? What have I done wrong? Why didn't I see this coming? Why doesn't he love me? Who am I outside of this relationship? Will this pain ever end? Will I feel like this forever?

Separation and divorce brings out emotions that have been suppressed or otherwise hidden from you. It is as if you are experiencing a death. As with any loss there is a grieving process. The interesting thing I have found about grieving in separation is that your emotions change from minute to minute. This varies depending on the circumstances surrounding your separation/divorce. If you were abandoned or abused by your spouse, the range of emotions changes second to second. The need becomes desperate to find a answer to what you have and are experiencing.

There is a level of freedom and power that you feel after separation. If you were abused, the abuse stops, if you were being cheated on, you on longer have to keep tabs, if you were unloved, you have the opportunity to find self-love as well as true love. If you initiate the separation from your spouse, you may feel a sense of control over the direction of your life and your relationship, if you seek to savage it. However, if you are like me, and were left by your spouse, you may feel a great sense of betrayal and despair. For me, this was compounded by years of emotional abuse and ultimately abandonment.

It all sound so grim doesn't it? Seems like there is no light a the end of the tunnel....

Well ladies, there is. I am seeing it as we speak. Stick with me and I'll show you what I've learned.

Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment